Thursday, March 7, 2013

Dave Starr Interview with "Metal Spirit" Chile

Dave Starr Interview with "Metal Spirit" Chile. Read In Spanish: Metal Spirit Interview with Dave Starr











English Translation:
WILDESTARR INTERVIEW – THE METAL SPIRIT –


1.- Hello, Dave, first let me say thanks for your disposition and for sharing part of your time with us in order to make this interview. From Chile’s webzine “Metal Spirit”

we’re deeply thankful.

Thanks for having me, its my pleasure!


2.- After you left Vicious rumors you’ve changed instrument, I do not know if it is due to the composition, are you more comfortable with the guitar? Do you miss the bass when playing?

I came back to VR to play on the WarBall CD that came out in 2006, but I had already begun the transition to guitar in 2005. The guitar is much easier to write on, and its something that I really wanted to do. I did not want to keep playing bass forever. I don't miss the bass, since I do still play it. I play all the guitars and bass on the WildeStarr CD's.


3.- Briefly, how do you consider your experience in Vicious Rumors? Do you feel better with what you did before or with what you do now?

Overall, it was great. There were ups and downs. In the original 9 years I was in the band (84-93), it was a very special band to be a part of. We had great musicians, great songs, and a great camaraderie among the 5 of us. It did not end that way, but I try to think of the good times. I am very proud of all that we accomplished in VR, but what I do now with WildeStarr is much more satisfying in every way.


4.- What are the musical and professional differences you notice between your era in Vicious Rumors and the one you are now living in WildeStarr?

In VR, we had managers, promoters, lawyers, and record labels doing alot of work for us. The band just concentrated on making music. Today, musicians have to do much more work themselves. The record companies do not have as much money as they used to. Now, I have to go over everything that we are involved in. I don't really like dealing with the business aspect of making music, but it has to be done. As far as the music goes, I think the situation is more professional now with WildeStarr. I had a hard time getting my song ideas across in VR, that was frustrating. Many of the song ideas I had were as good or better then songs that made it on to the albums. Obviously, I don't have that problem in WildeStarr! While VR was a great band, there was to much drugs and alcohol involved, and that caused problems. This is one of the many reasons I did not stay in the band when I returned for the WarBall CD. I have been 100% clean and sober now for close to 8 years, and I don't want to be around those kind of people anymore. Some people change for the better and mature as they get older, and I am one of those people. Some people stay the same and live their life like its 1989. I don't want to have anything to do with that, or with people who have that mentality and substance abuse issues. We don't have those problems in WildeStarr, we are drug and alcohol free and its a much more professional environment.


5.- We can say with “A Tell Tale Heart” that WildeStarr has defined and settled its style, and it is my belief that there are some similarities with Judas Priest (specially with the 1988/1990 band) and with Primal fear. Do you believe this? That somehow their sounds have influenced you when it’s time for composing?

Judas Priest has been a huge influence on both London and I. I have never heard Primal Fear before, I don't listen to much modern metal to be honest. I don't really listen to much music at all, I am so busy making my own music. This is not meant to be an insult to Primal Fear, I have heard great things about them... but they are not an influence on me. Most of my influences come from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. I do listen to a few new bands here and there, PASTORE from Brazil is one of them. Mario Pastore, the singer is really amazing. We have become very good friends, and he is signed to the same label in Japan that we are. Thats how I discovered him. We are planning a collaboration with Mario on a new song for the next CD, it will be a very special duet with him and London.



6.- This Full-length’s release date was delayed at some point, why was that?

The new CD came about about 2-1/2 years After ARRIVAL was released. We took our time writing songs, we needed to find a new drummer, and we shopped to try and get a new record deal. I don't think the 3rd CD will take as long to get out. My guess right now is 2014.


7.- This album has been in the market for a few months now, the fans have had the time for building an opinion, are you happy with their response?

Overall, yes. Most of the reviews I have read are really great. And, the e-mails that we get from fans from around the world are amazing. Of course, there will always be a few bad reviews. But, I don't care about them, since the good out way the bad by 10-1.


8.- What are the band’s immediate plans? Do you have an extensive tour in mind? Festivals, maybe?

Touring, I am not sure about. It would be nice to go and play some festivals. If the right situation presents itself, we will know.


9.- In the hypothetical event of a tour, what kind of set list would you use? Would it be focused on your two albums or would we find a surprise?

We have enough songs to do a full headlining set if we wanted to. We did Neon Knights by Black Sabbath as a bonus track on the Japanese release of the new CD, that would be cool to play. We could even throw in one of the VR songs that I co-wrote, like Digital Dictator.


10.- What kind of media are you using for promoting this new album? Do you have plans for making a new video? The band only has the video for “Arrival” from your former Full-length.

We are using our website: www.wildestarr.com, Facebook, MySpace, the internet in general, any way that we can. The video for ARRIVAL has been a big help, London directed that and the response has been great. We have a new video in production right now for the song "Transformis Ligeia" from the new CD, its really cool. London is directing this one as well.

11.- Can we calmly wait for a WildeStarr’s third album? Have you got anything in mind? Will you follow the same line?

I don't think its going to be a concept album like "A tell tale Heart" is, probably more straight ahead. I have been working on new song ideas for the last 6 months, and I am very happy with the way things are going.


12.- Your first Full-length was listed as one of the best of the year it was released in, what are your expectations with this one?

The response to ARRIVAL, really was a surprise for us. Of course, we thought it was great, but you never know what others will think. We had no idea what to expect, but the reviews were amazing! For the new one, we wanted to grow at a band, and reach new fans. Just keep working at what we do, make great music, great videos, and hope to do some LIVE shows as well.


13.- Within metal voices, we are not used to find a voice like London’s, so purely heavy, what can you tell us about it?

London is very unique. Not many people, men or woman can sing the way she can. I would say she is a cross between Rob Halford and Ann Wilson from Heart. And, there is more to her then just a great voice,. She writes amazing lyrics and melodies. And, she is very good looking.

14.- If you could tell me what WildeStarr means to you, since its creation and with two Full-lengths released by now, what could you tell me?

I changed course rather late in life, I did not get serious on the guitar until I was 44. Not many people do that. I feel like a kid again, I am being very creative, making great music, and loving it. Its been very rewarding for London and I. This is the best music I have ever been a part of in my long career.


15.- To wrap up, would you like to send a message to both fans and people that have not heard you yet?

To our fans, we are very grateful for the support from all over the world! If you have not heard us, check us out! If you love classic PRIEST, old Queensryche, DIO, Savatage, classic VR, etc, with a modern edge to it.... I think you will like what you hear!


16.- From “Metal Spirit” we want to thank Scarlet Records and you Dave for making this interview possible. We will be looking forward to hear news from you. Regards and good luck on what’s to come.

Thanks very much for the support from Metal Spirit! We really appreciate it!



No comments:

Post a Comment